To be used if your pet is not breathing
- Check and remove any obvious obstructions in the mouth or throat
- Gently pull the tongue out of the mouth as far as it will go to clear the airway
- Gently hold the pet’s mouth and cup your hands around the nose and lips to create a seal.
- Gently blow into the nostrils until the chest rises; adjust the strength and volume of your breath for the size of the pet
- Initially five 2 large breaths for 2 seconds each. Then blow every 5 seconds for 1 second for the first minute, check the pet after a minute to see if there is a heartbeat ad if your pet is breathing on its own.
- If not breathing continue 1 breath every 5 seconds, checking the pet for spontaneous breathing and a heartbeat every 2-3 breaths.
- Transport to a vet immediately, if you have a driver continue artificial respiration while in transit